Your home is a safe haven for you and your family members, so naturally you’ll want it to be as secure as possible 24/7.
Knowing when to replace your locks can be a straightforward task, for example if you have lost your keys or had them stolen.
But what about knowing when the locking mechanism is faulty or outdated?
Here, we take a closer look at some of the main reasons why you might need to change your locks.
Six reasons to get new locks in your home
There are several reasons why you might need to get new locks for your home. You may need to replace lost or stolen keys or broken or faulty locks, or just simply want to upgrade your locks to something more modern, robust and secure.
Some of the most common reasons people give us a call include…
Your keys are lost or have been stolen
Losing your house key is a common mistake every human will likely make in their lifetime, whether it’s a teenager losing their key at school, it dropping out of your bag during the weekly food shop, or simply misplacing it while out and about.
There’s been a break-in
After an intrusion in your home you should get your locks changed immediately to avoid the same thing happening again.
You’ve just moved in
It’s always best practice to look into replacing door locks in a new property as you will never know for sure that the old owners got rid of theirs. They may have given spare keys out to other family and friends and there’s no worse feeling than knowing a stranger potentially has a key to your home.
The locks are outdated
Even the most secure locks can deteriorate over time so for your own peace of mind it’s best to get a professional locksmith involved to at least review the locks and advise on whether they need replacing.
Keys that are unaccounted for
If you’re aware that you have duplicated keys but are unsure of their whereabouts, it’s best to get your existing locks changed. Copies of the keys could be with an ex-partner, with a repairman who worked on your home or a friend you no longer have contact with. For optimum home security, you need to know how many house keys you have, and where they all are.
You want an upgrade
Ensuring your home is up to date with the latest security measures is a more than reasonable excuse to have your locks changed. Whether you’re looking at getting anti-snap locks or simply having a new shiny lock and key set, the more peace of mind you can get, the better!
How to avoid frequently changing your locks
Constantly changing your locks can quickly become an expensive task as well as an inconvenience. To help prevent this hassle:
- Only give copies of keys to people you trust - this could be a parent or very close friend.
- Only give older children in the household a key - teenagers crave their independence but ensure they’re aware of the importance of keeping their keys safe.
- Don’t put your address on your keys - if an intruder finds your keys, they will know exactly which house the keys belong to, making it an easy target.
- Try and carry your keys with a keyring - if they fall out of your bag, you’re more likely to hear it before walking away.
- Don’t keep spare keys under the doormat - everyone knows this is the go-to place to keep a spare key and unfortunately, burglars know that too.
- Have a professional locksmith install your locks - it goes without saying that getting a professional to aid in your home security is better than going down the DIY route. It will give you more peace of mind that you, your family, and the contents of your home are safe.
Lock changing service from a Master Locksmith in Nottingham
Grays Locksmiths Nottingham has been providing trusted locksmith services to the city and beyond for more than 30 years. We are an accredited member of the Master Locksmiths Association and are dedicated to making all our customers feel safe and secure in their homes.
With years of expertise and knowledge about changing legislation and the best products available, we make it our mission to stay ahead of all the latest security trends to ensure you are always getting the best locksmith services and solutions on the market.
To find out more about our products and services, give us a call on 0115 9422315 or email email@example.com.